Monday 27 May 2013

Low cost wall decorations.

Once again, this post is all about my little girl's room. I would do loads more DIY and decoration for my little dude, but he seems less than thrilled when I offer him decorative flowers and butterflies. I don't know why.



These little flowers were inspired by some blooms which I saw on Pinterest. They immediately jazz up a plain wall and can be easily changed to suit the theme in any room, just use a different design of paper. They're very simple to make and cost next to nothing. They're even so easy that they could be used for temporary venue decoration if required. I think pearlized paper would look beautiful for a wedding.

So, here goes: step one, fold your piece of paper in half, then in half again.






Work out which corner is the centre of the paper and make sure that corner stays uncut.

Step two: on your folded paper, draw a simple single petal shape, then cut off the corners around your design.



Step three: open out your folded piece of paper and it should look like this: 



Roll the paper into a gentle curve between your first and second fingers in a sweeping motion, putting slightly more pressure on with the upper finger.




Repeat steps one to three in a contrasting paper, making sure that this piece is slightly smaller than the first. Put the smaller on top of the larger together with some glue, add a button as a beautiful centrepiece - et voila!



I stuck them to my daughter's wall to hide a couple of rather large bumps in the plaster which I'd neglected to sand when last decorating (blush, blush) and now I rather like them. 

The same concept can be applied to simple butterfly shapes (which I have also done and will upload at a later date) and can prove a cost effective change which requires little investment but your time. Crafting paper can be bought as a pack of similar designs and reused in various areas in a room if you like a specific colour or design theme.





Well, it's half term, so Squeaker and Dude are off school. This means a slowing of my usual work rate as we'll be off to the museum with Mr Friday and hopefully out in the sunshine too. I'll keep my camera to hand just in case I find any fabulous inspiration ;-)






No comments:

Post a Comment