Monday 27 May 2013

Girl Friday's first post.






I am Girl Friday - that's me dressed as Dorothy for Halloween. I have two children which makes it hard to get 'normal' photos of me. In most photos I'm either dressed up in funny glasses to amuse the little ones or I look like hell because I'm so tired, so you got the Dorothy look :-) I am a single mother on a mission. A mission to have a beautiful home, a thriving business and happy children. 

I should probably start off by saying that I really don't understand technology, so this has been something of a struggle. I use it, but I don't understand it. I live in a very firmly physical world, about as far from a virtual world as I can possibly get. I have a Mr Friday and this morning he offered me advice on setting up a blog. The first site I tried without his input and it was an unqualified disaster. I rang him and told him of my stress and asked why didn't software work the way it was supposed to? His response "Oh, I never expect it to work first time."

Seriously?

Maybe that's why I love DIY so much. I can always make it work. It makes beautiful sense to me. There's always a way to modify your project to make it function. Sure, sometimes it means scrapping the entire activity and starting again, but I can always make it work ;-) I think perhaps I'm just less patient with technology.

Well, I'm all about making things. Sometimes it's a renovation project, sometimes it's a build from scratch. I make furniture and furnishings, jewellery and accessories and most of all I make a mess. Luckily for me, my family are all very tolerant of the chaos I seem to leave in my wake. The children are blasé about the fact that I turn up to the school gates shedding a drift of sawdust and wearing a streak of pink oil based gloss in my hair.

I meet lots of other mums who say that they can't do DIY or make things, but they could if they tried and if they had some help and encouragement, just as I'm managing to blog even after my first failed attempt. I'm hoping to share some of my projects and maybe even tutorials if I can get the hang of it.

You can do it. Have fun, make mistakes, scrap it and try again.



No comments:

Post a Comment